Monday, November 1, 2010

My Current Classes

Spring registration is nearing and I thought I would give you all a taste of my current classes! In a few weeks, I'll let you all know what I end up picking for next semester too. Again, I'm an International Affairs major and a few of my current classes are fitting some requirements while others are fulfilling my pre-med track. See below:

Political Science: Comparative Politics 1
This course focuses on the principles of comparative analysis of governments and countries. It has proven to be an interesting class, though I have it at 8 AM. The class only has 40 people which helps so that we can have somewhat of a discussion at times. This class always has real life applications and I love that I can read the newspaper and come to class with an example for anything we are talking about.

English: Black American Literature 73W
This English class has reminded me of how much I love reading. I took it on a whim because it is a WID class (writing in the discipline), and I need two to graduate. We have discussed several influential African Americans in history, read slave narratives, and are moving on to civil rights and Black Power movements. I have decided to take another english class next semester because I am loving this one so much, especially because of the class size: a grand total of 10 students!

Religion: Religions of the West 1
This class is an introduction to Christianity, Judaism, and Islam. This class has proven to be a difficult one for me as I have it from 4:45 to 6 PM Mondays and Wednesdays. The content is somewhat evident and I don't recommend it to anyone who has a strong background in religion, but it has been a great learning experience for me. My class has 80 people in it.

Biological Sciences: Biology 11
There isn't much to say about Bio 11 except that it is a premed requirement that I need to complete- along with the other 279 students in it. I took Bio 12 last semester and loved the teacher  (Doebel) because of his great enthusiasm. Brown teaches Bio 11 and his tests are multiple choice, which is nice. I recommend taking Bio 11 before 12, but if you're bored- hold out for 12 because it's all about plants and animals and the good bio stuff.

Chemistry: Chemistry 11
Chemistry has proven to be something that I enjoy more than I expected, though it is again a premed requirement I need to complete. This class is small for Chemistry, with only 80 students, and I recommend Hilderbrandt for anyone looking to take it who don't have a strong chem background. She is a great teacher who makes sure to go out of her way to help if you are struggling (like me haha). 

Questions? Good luck to all of you applying Early Decision on the 10th! Email me at marisaw@gwmail.gwu.edu
- Marisa

No comments:

Post a Comment