Sunday, October 31, 2010

Trick or Treating at the Embassies

It's a DC tradition around Halloween for kids--mostly college students--to go Trick-or-Treating on Embassy Row, so that's what I did on Friday with a group of kids from my hall and our House Scholar (like an R.A. but not)! 

Here were the embassies listed as accepting trick or treaters this year:


The Republic of Cape Verde
The Republic of Cote d'Ivoire (Ivory Coast)
The Republic of Croatia
Finland
Greece
The Vatican or Apostolic Nunciature, the Holy See
The Republic of Indonesia
Ireland
The Republic of Korea
Lesotho
The Republic of the Marshall Islands
Paraguay

These embassies had been listed as "possible" participants, but I got some good pickings at several of them:

The Republic of Cyprus
Peru
Madagascar
Luxembourg
Japan
The Republic of Haiti
Colombia
The Republic of Cameroon
Bolivia

We also went to some that weren't on either list, like The Bahamas, Portugal, and Togo, and maybe others I forgot about.  But it was super fun!  I'd have to say that my favorite embassy was South Korea.  For one, they had three different buildings that we could go into, and staff was hanging around everywhere complimenting our costumes and taking pictures and dressed up and whatnot.  Also, they're the only one (of those that I visited) that gave out authentic candy from the country, rather than going the easy route and getting American candy!  Not that I'm complaining about free Twix and Reese's and all the things I love, but tasting Korean pumpkin taffy and these tasty plum thingies was unique and very cool.

This was an awesome experience and you all should go!  But be warned: embassies close around 5:00 PM and are NOT open on weekends, so make sure you do research as to who is participating and when they're open.  That's why my friends and I couldn't go last year, we thought that the festivities took place on Halloween day, but everyone was closed because it was a Saturday!  So do your homework.

Some pictures from the fun:

My friends and I at Indonesia!

ME at Portugal!

Can you guess what my costume is?  I'll give you a hint:  "Never fear, Brooklyn is here!"

Email me, please!  ShireenS@gwmail.gwu.edu
~~~Shireen

No comments:

Post a Comment