Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Studying Abroad- Not Only for Juniors

I figured I would attempt to give you all a little story from my summer. I traveled to Gaborone, Botswana (located above South Africa) for the summer after freshman year to study abroad. Yes, I know- it seems early to study abroad- but there is no set good time to go! I decided that it would be a good use of my summer. I signed up for a Community Public Health study abroad program through CIEE to see if it would be something I was interested in. I always find that I learn the most about what I like when I am doing it… so why not try out working in a clinic and taking public health classes to see if I should continue that focus at GWU?!

I was surprised (maybe even impressed) with myself because I jumped into this adventure without reservation. I am usually a worrier, a stresser; I boarded a plane alone without knowing who I was meeting up with and, to tell you the truth, without knowing enough about this country. I had not had a breakdown or crisis of any sort until a night late into my first week, which I credit to a buildup of frustrations with bad transportation, lack of hot showers, irritation with my new professors who lack syllabi, and yes of course finally some homesickness.

Some highlights from my summer include...
Victoria Falls!
USA vs. Ghana World Cup Game 
Safari in the north of Botswana
Working at a soup kitchen for orphans
While I enjoyed my time abroad for the summer, it was only a temporary quenching of my thirst to live abroad. I am considering going abroad for a whole semester the fall of my junior year. I would like to do the GW Study Program in Latin America, as I have experienced Sub-Saharan Africa and would like the experience of another developing country. GW also runs GW Study Programs in Madrid, London, and England. I will keep you all updated with my search as I want to in the fall! 

Let me know if you have any questions about study abroad and I’ll do my best to answer them.. Otherwise, talk to the Office of Study Abroad- they are super helpful! There are about 300 programs currently and they are always adding new programs. You can even petition a program if they don't have something you like! And financially, lots of scholarships are available to help you out.

Questions? As always, email me at marisaw@gwmail.gwu.edu!
-Marisa

No comments:

Post a Comment