Thursday, October 21, 2010

Groupon, Living Social, Yipit, and the like.

If you haven't already heard of any of these sites, the links are below!  Click them now, ask questions later.

Or you could take the more rational approach and read what I have to say about them first.  Take your pick.  But I'm thoroughly convinced that you will be sold on the concept once you hear.  I know I was!

Every day, I get an email from Groupon, LivingSocial (The Daily Deal) and Yipit.  In the subject line, it mentions an outlandish sounding deal, such as "67% off Italian fare at (insert awesome restaurant here)!!!" or "(Really cool name) museum admission 53% off!" or "It's an oyster with two tickets to that thing you love!"  Ok, maybe not the last one, but stuff along those lines.

If I don't like the sound of the deal or I don't think I'd ever use "44% off day of skeet shooting in NoVA", I delete the email, forget about it, and wait for tomorrow's deal.  But say it's $10 for $20 worth of food at Nando's Peri Peri?  HOW CAN I PASS THAT UP?  That place is delicious!

That's actually the Groupon I used yesterday.  Mmmmmm.  And I used LivingSocial for my International Spy Museum trip!  But anyway, the next step is you buy the deal.  That's right, you buy it right then and there, online.  So when you're ready to use the coupon, you just print it out and hand it in at the location.  It's pre-paid and hassle-free.

How can businesses profit of these insane deals, you ask?  Quantity.  These companies operate by promising the business that they'll sell a certain number of coupons to ensure that we as customers get a great price, but also that the business isn't giving anything away!  The flip side to that is, however, that if not enough of your fellow deal-seekers don't buy that particular coupon, the deal may not happen, and you get refunded for that purchase and have to kiss the deal goodbye.

But that's never happened to me, and I've never heard of anyone having a problem with that.  the sites generally use coupons that people actually want to buy!  It's handy.

Another cool thing--they're not just in DC!  All of these sites operate out of many different cities, so maybe your hometown is on the list!  Below are the links to the DC pages, but from there it's easy to get to the master list of cities as well.

Groupon DC
Yipit DC
Living Social Deals

So you're interested, yes?  Thought so.  You are welcome.

Email:  ShireenS@gwmail.gwu.edu
~~~Shireen

No comments:

Post a Comment