Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Hidden Gems of GW Study Spots

Okay, so you weren't convinced by my last post to head off campus to adventure into another corner to doze into studyland. When you have just a few minutes (or an hour or two) and don't want to lug those books a few blocks, here are some great on campus options for studying! But beware- these are my favorite spots, and I may have to start camping out if they become too popular:
Gelman, not the most attractive building on campus
Gelman Library- Okay, so everyone says Gelman needs some improvement. But I have always been impressed by the 3rd floor. Not only a quiet floor with large tables (avoiding the crowded study space), but the 3rd floor study rooms are my absolute favorite. By reserving a room ahead of time through the Gelman Reservation System, you will be happily surprised with the amount of space you and a friend have to review notes!

Duques- Up on the many floors of the elegant business school are small study rooms and graduate study rooms as well. These are open to all and I especially recommend their chairs tucked away into corners of the building only found when searching for the perfect chair. Some are conveniently located near coffee tables while others have their own tables attached (and not the horrible classroom type of tables). Good luck searching!

Elliott School- Up on the 3rd floor of the Elliott School is a nice collection of couches, but my interest remains in the thick cushy black chairs propped up near the windows. You can curl up in them because they are enormous. Usually I sit with my back against an armrest and the rest of my body fits nicely into the chair, curled around my computer.

Eckles Library- Up on the Mt. Vernon Campus awaits a beautiful and surprisingly quiet library. With more people living on the Vern this year, you would expect it to become more frequented, but West Hall has a lot of study spaces, leaving Eckles a prize for studiers looking for quiet. My roommate who lived on the Vern last year recommends Eckles solely because of the 25 cent coffee and free popcorn to motivate students during finals studying nights!!
Eckles, a beautiful haven for focused individuals
Questions you want me to answer? marisaw@gwmail.gwu.edu.
- Marisa

No comments:

Post a Comment