Thursday, December 9, 2010

Not-So-Hidden Gems of GW

Today, a friend and I decided to meet up for lunch and I offered him the choice of place. Naturally, he chose the place closest so he roll out of bed for our meal together -- Carvings. I was somewhat embarrassed to tell him that I'd been at GW for four months and had never gone in there. While I enjoyed a "Little Italy" Italian sandwich, my mind wandered to a friend from home who'd visited GW and asked what our dining was like, since it seems we have so many options. So, for those curious about what GW has to offer to eat away at those $1,000 of Colonial Cash, here are some "not-so-hidden" gems of GW that are worth dropping by.

Carvings, to start, is nestled next to the underclassmen dorm Potomac. Fare is typical grill entrees; sandwiches, wraps, omelets, etc. The ingredients are pretty fresh -- I was impressed by the tasty tomatoes, as I'm very picky. The fries are delicious, I hear, and they bring in a turkey everyday to make fresh turkey and cranberry sandwiches, but get there before they're out. As expected, it's always filled with GW students, so you're likely to run into a familiar face (I saw a few friends while I was in there for only an hour today). The nice thing about it is there are a few booths, so it's a little cozier than some of the other venues on campus.

GW Deli is a legendary favorite on campus, but I had never understood why. I was encouraged as a tour guide to rave about it, but hadn't ever actually been aside. After being chided by a friend, I ordered a bagel one morning and was SO impressed; being from New York, I never get a bagel outside of my home state. The breakfast sandwiches are delicious, as well, and while you may catch a line that is out the door, don't worry - it goes fast. Stop by to figure out what they're all talking about.

Gallery Cafe is a usual stop for my roommates and I on our morning routes. After my 9:35, I know I can find my roommates in Ivory commons munching on a bacon egg and cheese sandwich from Gallery. It's worth it to try one. Fare is very similar to that of Carvings. If you're stopping by for lunch, go to the salad bar; it's by far the best salad bar on campus.

Thai Place may have to be the cream of the crop as far as dining on campus goes for me. I will admit that I am a Thai Place ADDICT, and can be found hovering over a plate of Chicken Pad Thai about once a week. Dishes are pretty delicious for the low price, and it is a full-service restaurant. If you are a first timer, you can't really go wrong; I of course recommend to go pad thai, but the pad sew is delicious as well, as are any dumplings/spring rolls. Even if you're not that adventurous of a diner, they cater to college students, so nothing too exotic to scare you off.

Last but certainly not least is Crepeaway, which is my absolute favorite place on campus. At the beginning of the semester we'd go down to this L Street gem a few times a week. Then we quickly got smart and started going less frequently to save our waistlines. Either way, the guys working still know us, and will smile at you when you order and they call your name. Serving both food crepes and desert crepes, this is a great stop any time of day. The desert ones, in my opinion, are far superior, and best at late-night. Try the Obama, and also find him on the wall mural!

Of course there are loads of other options, which is what makes dining at GW as unique as it is. What're your favorites? We're all a little biased. Keep eating well, GW, and check out some new spots - you'll be as pleasantly surprised as I was. And for anything else, get at me at gmdepalo@gwmail.gwu.edu.

See you around campus,
Gina Michele

4 comments:

  1. I'm surprised to see no comments on most of the posts on the blog, so I thought I'd show a little love. I really enjoy reading all of your posts and I think blogging is a great medium for just about anything. I applied ED and in case you were not aware, decisions come out tomorrow!

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for following the GW Blog. We always appreciate hearing from readers. Best of luck in the decision and we hope to hear from you and see you on campus next year!

    - Gina Michele

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pad thai at Thai Place is by far the best of DC!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely! We used to go to Bangkok Joe's, an upscale Thai place on the waterfront that was much more expensive and did not take GWorld, and their pad thai doesn't do it like Thai Place.

    Glad we agree :)
    - Gina Michele

    ReplyDelete