Sunday, December 5, 2010

Multiculturalism

On one of my other posts, I had someone comment, "I wanted to know if you could inform us about your admissions process. As a Black male from Philadelphia, I also wanted to know how your experience at GW has been. I would like to enroll in the B.A/M.A Program (Political Science/Public Policy). Do you have any advice for me?"

GW has a strong tradition of inclusion and their efforts to increase diversity on campus are set mainly through the frame of multiculturalism, which allows for collaboration with all students, as everyone has something to contribute.  This effort is based out of the Multicultural Student Services Center, lead by Michael Tapscott.  This is the link to their website: http://gwired.gwu.edu/mssc/. 

The three main tenets of their work are:
  1.  Support the shaping of a campus climate that welcomes cultural, racial, ethnic, and intellectual diversity.
  2. Support the academic, cultural, social, spiritual and professional growth of the students we serve.
  3. Support the retention, inclusion and increase in participation rates of students of color.
Being an African American male at GW has had a significant impact on my identity and I continually strive to create connections between communities to facilitate increased awareness and personal growth.  I have developed as a member of the GW community as a participant in the Black Men's Initiative, which encourages academic, extracurricular, and personal development.  I also try to raise awareness about systemic inequalities and injustices that are often overlooked in discussions.  Overall, my experience in this area has been amazing and I would encourage everyone to apply.  DC and GW have something for everyone and I have learned about my community and others.  For example, last week there were events ranging from Hanukkah, the Jewish Festival of Lights, to Shabe Yalda, the traditional Persian celebration of the winter solstice.  

1 comment: