Saturday, December 4, 2010

Rivalry = GW vs GMU (George Washington U. and George Mason U.)

So for those of you who aren’t familiar with GW athletics, GW and George Mason University out in Fairfax, Virginia have a huge sports rivalry. Despite being founding fathers, one of our country the other of our Bill or Rights, they now are rivals on the basketball court, especially due to recent success both programs have had. It is always a real game with unexpected twists, turns, and talents exposed and I got to see this first hand when I went with some of my band buddies to root them on our Colonials in GMU’s Patriot Center last night. There were only like 30 huddled fans in buff in a stadium decorated in green and gold, but we were loud and proud and our team could hear us :)

*While these pics aren't of GW, this will give you insight into our rival facilities and groups you will be faced with :)

Patriot Arena @ GMU
After trailing by 7 points in the first half, the Colonials came back to only trail by two going into halftime (28-26). However, GMU found their second wind and ended up beating GW 60-46. I was sad for sure that we could not pull out with a “W” as my blood now runs half buff and blue, but I had so much fun regardless. Participating in the cheers, singing the school song acapela on cue, and seeing the hilariousness of over enthusiastic GMU fans was a priceless experience. While I wish I could have been there alongside the entire band and had my instrument in hand, it was fun to be a spectator too.

The Green Machine of GMU
With all of this said, I hope you catch the fever for GW athletics and that you will take advantage of the opportunity to go see such rivalry games. The university offered a special $10 deal, which included a ticket to the game, a Beat Mason t-shirt, and bus trip out to Fairfax (which is 30 mins away). It was a great deal and defiantly $10 well spent. I definitely now see why GMU and GW are rivals and will be at every rivalry game, rest assured, so I can cheer on my buff and blue.

If you any questions about anything, please feel free to get in touch with me. I would love to talk about admissions so if you have any questions, let me know. I’d be glad to answer any questions and who knows, you might even get a whole blog post about your question 

-       Brandon

No comments:

Post a Comment