Thursday, December 2, 2010

Freshman Recipe Book

Even while I have a kitchen and largely cook for myself this year, I remember all too well the Freshmen plight of eating relatively the same foods day after day.

It's really great having a kitchen.  Really really great.  Most Sophomore dorms have them here, so get excited, folks!  But until you pass that fabulous threshold into your second year at GW, there's a lot of eating to do!  So I've decided it would be prudent to create a "Recipe Book" for Freshmen (and incoming Freshmen, alike, for your future reference!)  Most meals will be microwaveable or require no heating, and the ingredients will be basic.  I'm not even sure how many recipes I have in my arsenal, so I'm not sure how long this series will be.  But stay tuned for plenty of tasty items coming your way!

Don't get me wrong, GW students really do have a lot to choose from in our meal plans.  As a Freshman, you get the most money alloted to dining dollars, which can be spent at J Street, GDub Java, and on the Mount Vernon campus at West Hall's dining hall.  Then there's also a balance to be spent at other eating establishments, such as DC restaurants, the Ivory Tower food spots, and in 2000 Penn, which houses places like Au Bon Pain, Johnny Rockets, and Wasabi Sushi.

The thing is, you end up finding your favorites--and sticking with them.  By this time last semester, I found that I was in a rut.  The foods that became my go-to's at a bunch of GWorld places no longer ignited my passion!  My taste-buds just got used to them, I guess, and i had to take a significant break from most of those options before I could return to them for my dining needs.

That's when I became creative and invented some delicious, nutritious, and easy recipes that I could whip up with my microwave and a few basic ingredients and tools.  So get ready for some good eatin'!  Recipes coming soon!

As always, feel free to email me with ANY questions--no limits.  ShireenS@gwmail.gwu.edu

~~~Shireen

No comments:

Post a Comment