Saturday, November 6, 2010

Math for the Math-Defunct.

I admit it freely: I am terrible at math.  Hence, I don't really care for it.  As an Elliott school student, I only need to take 2 math OR science courses, and at first I thought I would take Philosophy 2045 (Intro to Logic) and Phil 3121 (Symbolic Logic).  Unfortunately, Intro to Logic turned out to be more difficult than I expected, and less useful.  I thusly decided that I will take a biology or anatomy class for my second math/science credit, but to help the rest of you, I thought I'd take the time to highlight some of GW's math courses for the mathematically un-inclined.  Here goes:

MATH 1007: Mathematics and Politics -- Could a class BE even more GW?  This course is very popular among Elliott kids, the notoriously math-phobic.  From what I've heard, it's fairly easy, and even interesting (at times) to the non-mathematically minded!

MATH 1009: Mathematical Ideas I/MATH 1010: Mathematical Ideas II -- this choice is purely based on hearsay.  I heard from someone who heard from someone that these classes are fairly straight-forward and rather easy, but I couldn't site the source if I wanted to.

MATH 2233: Multivariable Calculus -- Hahahahaaaa KIDDING.

STAT 1051: Intro-Business & Economic Stat -- This one's a requirement for a lot of Business School kids and it's rather simple as well!  My roommate enjoyed it, and I trust her judgement.

STAT 1053: Intro-Stat in Social Science -- This course, as stated in the title, is good for those interested in the social sciences.  It's also highly recommended for sociology and anthropology majors, as their work is often dependent on statistical findings and research.

Of course, since I haven't personally experienced any of these courses, ratings of easiness or difficulty are purely based on what others have said!  I hope that doesn't skew the appraisal too much!  I'm pretty sure I'm on target though, I did some research!  Also, just as with any class, a tough professor can make a world of difference if you're in search of the coveted A.  So check up on that when registering as well!

Email with questions, comments, or concerns!  ShireenS@gwmail.gwu.edu

<3 Shireen

No comments:

Post a Comment