Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Lunch with Middle Eastern Study-ers!

My last post touched on why I picked my major: Middle Eastern Studies.  Well, on Friday I got an email inviting me to lunch with Professor Marc Lynch, head of the MES program, and Professor Ilana Feldman, who is in the Anthropology department but deals with areas in the Middle East and teaches courses for International Affairs students.  I just had to RSVP!  That's not the kind of opportunity you pass up.  Free food AND networking with future professors and experts in the field you wanna pursue?  Yeah.

First off, and most importantly, THE FOOD WAS SO TASTY!  It was catered Middle Eastern food; there was hummus and pita of course, dolmas, rice, baba ganoush, and these shredded chicken and beef things to put with your pita.  And for dessert, 2 types of baklava.  So yeah, really good stuff.  That alone made the luncheon worth it for me.

Now for the headliners: Professors Lynch and Feldman are just so smart.  I was wowed at how intelligent yet down-to-earth they were, and they were incredibly helpful in answering questions--both career and MES related.

The event was a part of International Education Week, a State Department and Department of Education initiative to promote international educational and cultural exchange.  There's one for the Asian Studies department tomorrow (if you go here, RSVP! there's still spots!) and I'm sure there's one for Latin American Studies kids too, but that probably filled up, or I would have been told to plug it by the Elliott School people who were running the show.

Not that I should be plugging Elliott over any of GW's other schools, but I really do appreciate their outreach.  I get a weekly email detailing all Elliott School events for the upcoming week or two, and reminders for bigger events as well.  Speaking of outreach (and terrible segues), I'm here if you have any questions about GW, DC, Elliott, or anything!  Keep emailing!  ShireenS@gwmail.gwu.edu

<3 Shireen

No comments:

Post a Comment