Sunday, November 28, 2010

GW Applications: UHP & WLP?

For those of you in the last stages of high school, you are probably intently focused on your current application to GW and the anticipation for the application to be finished. I thought I would try my best to answer a few questions that I’ve been hearing pop up, particularly about the extra aspects of the application.
1. Is it worth is to apply to the University Honors Program (UHP)?
Honors students take small seminar courses, which fulfill general curriculum requirements and are organized into four rubrics covering philosophical foundations, the natural and social sciences, and the humanities. The UHP is a University-wide program and inclusive of students from across the undergraduate school. Everyone I know in UHP is challenged by their classes and it seems worthwhile, so I encourage you to apply if you feel qualified because the program is only open to incoming freshman applicants.

2. What about the Women’s Leadership Program (WLP)?
The Women's Leadership Program (WLP) is a selective, year-long, living and learning program for freshmen women of any school at GW. The dynamic curriculum emphasizes exploration and development of women's leadership through academic courses and weekly symposia. Many of my friends have been in this program and loved it, as it was a community immediately available to them on campus. The only consideration that may change your mind is that all students in the WLP must live on the Mount Vernon campus, as their joint classes are up there and they want to house all the women together.
Photo of the Mt Vernon campus during early fall
3. Is it worth it to visit, even if I’m sure I’m submitting my application?
While many people say not to base your thoughts on a school from an hour long tour or a short visit to campus, I didn’t realize how much I loved GW until I stepped on campus. I liked the idea of GW and knew that it was a great option, but my visit differentiated it from just another school I was applying to. Even if you’re submitting or have already submitted your application, consider visiting GW so once you’re accepted to all the schools you apply to (hopefully! Good luck), you can make the most informed decision.

Best of luck. If you have questions, email me! marisaw@gwmail.gwu.edu
- Marisa

No comments:

Post a Comment