Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Inaugural Post -- the "New Meat" of the Blog

Hello, wide world of GDub! This is my inaugural post here on the GW Admissions blog, so I hope you all wish me luck!

To start, let me tell you who I am. My name is Gina Michele DePalo, and I am a freshman here at George Washington University in the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences with a double major in Psychology and Dramatic Literature, from Long Island, New York. *clap*

Or that's what they make me say, anyway. ;) I'm here to give you a bit of the freshman perspective; a little "new kid on campus" deal, and to show you just what life is really like here at GW (I'll be honest, I promise).

But so you learn the real stuff, let's get a little more personal. And since this is a blog for and all about the wonderful GWU, let's make this even more fitting with my Top 10 Favorite Things about Life at GW:

10. A shortER Gelbucks line. Nothing makes my morning more than peaking in to see that the line for Gelbucks is actually INSIDE the store, allowing me time to grab a grande soy Peppermint Mocha no whip before my 9:35 astronomy lecture.

09. The "scenic route" via the Vern Express. Even if I'm stuck on the dreaded 8:45/9 am shuttle from the Vern through DC rush hour traffic, I always find it really calming to look out the window at the Potomac glistening from sunlight and the curling foliage of historic Georgetown. Coming from New York, it's nice to see the green I grew up with on Long Island, integrated with a city almost nothing like Manhattan -- which is why I love it.

08. New merch. Whenever there's downtime between classes on Foggy Bottom, I find myself compelled to pop into the bookstore to check out the array of GW pride. There is ALWAYS something new, so it's very common for me to be shipping gifts home or charging a quick purchase that one of my friends or roommates have recently picked up.

07. Study sessions. Whether it's at the 6th floor Stacks at Gelman or in one of the comfy chairs or study rooms in Eckles, it always feels a lot easier to get through those psych chapters with my friends crowded around our books in the library.

06. Walking around Foggy Bottom at night. I've only been here two months, but some of the fonder moments I think of when I reflect on my time here are when my friend from home and I were let out of our rehearsals after midnight and roamed around Foggy. Or on the weekends, when we're grabbing a shuttle back home in the wee hours of the night, there's something really comforting at night about the 4x6 blocks that we call home.

05. The beauty of GWorld. If you ever see me on campus, probability is 9/10 that I don't have cash on me. The magic of being able to swipe meals, clothes, groceries and just about anything else I could need to pick up has yet to wear off.

04. International conversations. I love when I'm walking down the street here and overhear two friends chatting in their native language, or a girl catching up with her parents on her cell phone in a foreign tongue. My extreme appreciation for culture and multilingualism has only expanded with each of my trips to Europe, including this past summer living in Greece. Coming home from that tremendous experience (which I'm sure I'll reference a good 6 million times) and landing straight here in a new city where different languages were all around me made me ALMOST feel like I hadn't left.

03. Liberalism. I come from a medium-sized suburb on Long Island, where I was a pretty vocal liberal, due partly to my background in theatre and my democrat-voting parents. Now, I'm living in a large city where I'm one of a million. I never thought I'd be somewhere where I was one of the "quiet ones".

02. Walking backwards (as a tour guide and... even when off duty, a little). It's true, I am a trainee STAR droid for GW, in addition to bringing you my life via blog. I'm so passionate about GW that I just can't seem to shutup about it, and when my friends and family come for a visit, I can't help but switch into my tourguide voice.

01. GW Student Theatre Community. I'll say it a thousand times, I'm sure, but my absolute favorite thing here at GW is the home I've found in student theatre. I wanted to go to a university where I could get back to performing, but also have a community for my playwriting, my directing, and of artist friends. I could not have chosen a better place.

So there you have it; a little snapshot of me through the lens of GW. I'll be back soon to give you a chronicle of what goes down here on campus -- I just wanted to introduce myself to you all! Any prospective students who want to know what it's REALLY like to go to GW, or current students with any questions or comments, get at me at gmdepalo@gwmail.gwu.edu. I love fan mail! ;)

See you around campus,
Gina Michele

No comments:

Post a Comment