Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Writing in the Disciplines

I've done a few posts on course registration lately, and I'm trying to cover all grounds.  Another topic to consider when registering: WIDs.  Writing in the Disciplines courses are required for all GW students.  In fact, we gotta take two of 'em!  There are WIDs in all different subject matters, and though you have to take two, you could take as many as you want!  If you're like me and you prefer courses that are heavy on writing and don't focus as much on testing and whatnot, WIDs are certainly for you.

Before taking your WID, however, you must complete UW-20 (the required University Writing course for freshmen).  Well actually, you can take a WID whenever, but only one is counted per semester, and they are not credited as WIDs until after you've completed UW.  Courses are identifiable as WIDs on the registration if they have a "W" after the course number.  It's super simple.

I already took one WID course, entitled Faulkner and Morrison with Professor Evelyn Schreiber.  It's being offered next semester and if you're a current student you should take it!!!  It was easily my favorite class of freshman year.  My second WID is (hopefully!) happening next semester--I don't think I'll have trouble getting in.  It's called The New Testament, and we'll learn just that: The New Testament.  It will fit a requirement for my Religion minor AND a WID requirement!  Blamo!  Also, a friend of mine took it last semester and she really enjoyed it, so I'm pretty safe.  I'll let you know how it goes, both with registration and when the class begins!

Questions on registration?  WIDs?  Anything?  Email me!  ShireenS@gwmail.gwu.edu
<3 Shireen

No comments:

Post a Comment