Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Thanksgiving / Admissions Advice


First I have to say that Thanksgiving break was amazing and having the Wednesday before off was a great treat for senior year.  I cannot believe that I only have one more week of classes during a fall semester at GW.

On one of my other posts, I had someone comment, "I wanted to know if you could inform us about your admissions process. As a Black male from Philadelphia, I also wanted to know how your experience at GW has been. I would like to enroll in the B.A/M.A Program (Political Science/Public Policy). Do you have any advice for me?"

First, I would say that now is the time to be ambitious.  College lasts four years, but if you can identify programs or activities that already interest you, go for it!  I know some students who did the 5-year law program and the 5-year B.A. /M.A. and absolutely loved it.   My sister actually plans to apply for the Public Health version next semester as a sophomore.  I know that making commitments can be a scary proposition and you do not want to be overburdened too early in the process, but goal setting is an important part of college and now is the perfect time to start.  Wherever you end up after college there will be numerous opportunities and the trick is to find what fits you best.  It may be the case that you do not know exactly what you want to do (welcome to the party), but even in that situation just go with your gut and pick things that will allow for flexibility in the long run.  Whether you are thinking about going the political science route or one of the smaller majors, GW has hundreds of devoted faculty and staff that sincerely desire to help you and I can promise that you will find a program that fits or resources within the city to get plugged into. 

More to come on my thoughts about diversity at GW.  Key word: multiculturalism.   

Best,
Paul Waters 

P.S. As always if you have specific questions shoot me an email at pwaters@gwmail.gwu.edu.

No comments:

Post a Comment