Sunday, November 28, 2010

Sophomore Housing

On these blogs, a lot of people talk about what to expect for freshman housing, but what to expect sophomore year often goes unmentioned. So, I thought I would share my experience so far with you. Last year, I lived in Madison and this year I moved up into the sophomore housing of Guthridge, located 2.5 blocks away. It houses roughly 250 students and contains singles, doubles, and triples, but no quads. I, personally, live in a triple. The location is perfect for me since it is only a 3-4 minute walk to the Smith Center where I have volleyball practice every morning. Across the street are both Anniversary Park, a great place to just sit outdoors and study, and FoboGro (Foggy Bottom Grocery), which has an upstairs mini grocery store and a downstairs sandwich shop with the best grilled cheese ever.
Outside of Guthridge

New Courtyard Behind Guthridge and South Hall
Every room has its own bathroom and most have a kitchen, as mine does. As far as sophomore dorms go, it is fairly big. So far from my experience living here, I really like it. It is a lot more spacious than my double last year in Madison and I love having a kitchen in my room instead of at the end of the hall. Granted, I am not a very good cook, but it is a lot easier to cook things when I do. However, the kitchen on my floor last year in Madison was fairly big and nice, so there really isn’t anything to complain about. Here are lots of pictures of my room: 
Welcome to my room!

Living Room

Living Room from opposite side

My Desk

Bathroom

Kitchen

View of Hallway from Kitchen

Bedroom

View from opposite side of bedroom

My Bed

My Closet
In the basement are the laundry facilities and a study/ TV lounge area. Even with living I the same building as roughly 250 other people, I have yet to encounter a problem with finding time to do laundry. I have never gone down there and have seen all the machines used up, which is wonderful. I haven’t actually spent any time in the study/TV lounge yet, but it is pretty nice.

Study Lounge in Basement
Other sophomore year housing includes: 2109 F Street, Dakota, Francis Scott Key, Fulbright, JBKO, Building JJ, Mitchell, Munson, Schenley, West End, and West Hall.
As others have stated, the dorms at GW are wonderful and are among the better ones in the country and I am inclined to agree.

1 comment:

  1. Do you happen to know which singles in Guthridge had a kitchen and which ones didn't?

    ReplyDelete