Thursday, November 4, 2010

Good Pizza in DC

Coming from the pizza capital of the world (no, not Italy), I was skeptical as to whether I'd be able to find my good old-fashioned New York-y homestyle pizza fix down in the Mid-Atlantic.  Of course, I failed to recognize that you can find literally anything you want in this town if you look hard enough!  So after some grueling, toilsome research, here are my top 3 picks:


3)  Pizzeria Paradiso:  Located right off the circle in Dupont, and with another spot in Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria, Paradiso is pretty established--and rightfully so.  It's your typical rustic Italian place you find in any given town and you stick with because it always delivers.  (Though they actually don't deliver--but they have take-out!)  Though while they do have take-out, this place is best for a sit-down meal, in my opinion.  Favorites are the Bosco, Quottro Formaggi, and di Mare.  


2)  Pizza Movers:  This place is highly recommend if you need some tasty, speedy delivery any day of the week.  I've only ever had plain cheese or buffalo chicken, but their other "Pizza Delights" have all sorts of outlandish toppings worth a look.  Also, most people I've asked say that it's the closest they've found to the pizza of their roots (if their roots are in NY/NJ, that is!)  They've also got some killer calzones!  The biggest draw, however, is that they're open until 4AM Sunday through Thursday, and 5AM Friday and Saturday, so it's great for all-nighters or for whatever else could possibly keep you up at those hours...
Oh yeah, and they're on Gworld!


1)  We, The Pizza:  Super trendy and slightly kitschy, but without compromising on taste.  Owned by Top Chef's Spike Mendelsohn, you know you're getting some classy gourmet fare (He also owns Good Stuff Eatery right next door!).  But even with the celeb-vibes, it's still your homey New York style pizza joint, where you can order pre-made pizza by the slice after taking a thoughtful gander at all the gloriousness behind the counter.  Additionally, they've got a gourmet soda fountain with yummy flavors such as "Love You Long Time Lemon Lime", "Good Morning Vietnam Coffee Soda", and "I've Gotta Orange Crush on You".  Definitely try a soda for the full experience.  They also have awesome-sounding wings and sandwiches, but I promised myself I'd try every flavor pizza before I venture on to subs  I have 2 left!


My Favorite slice:  Spinach & Artichoke
    Favorite soda:  "Very Very Sour-ry Cherry"
Price:  $4 a slice (except plain cheese which is $3) $16 a pie
          $3 sodas
Delivery: Coming Soon, according to their website!
Online Ordering: Also coming soon.


Try my choices and pick your own favorites!  Let me know how you fare, or if you find something better (which is impossible):  ShireenS@gwmail.gwu.edu


<3 Shireen

No comments:

Post a Comment