Thursday, November 18, 2010

Bands at GW!

If you were in band in high school, make sure to to continue in college! Even if you weren't the all-state musician or didn't bleed music notes, college band is oh so different. I was a drum major in my high school, a mediocre baritone player, and wasn't overly passionate about band, but I have really enjoyed my band experience this first semester in college. It has been a good way to get my mind off the academia that rules my life and has allowed me to meet some pretty amazing people and, of course, get into all of the basketball games for free :)

Here are some pictures of the band program from years past just to give you an idea of what we look like, but I will get some others up as the basketball season progresses I'm sure

Our head director of bands, Dr. Fritz
Colonial Brass 

The band program is one of the few activities on campus that also involves some financial assistance. While this should not be your primary reason for being involved, it does help you afford your education and the award gets larger the longer you stay involved with the band program. There are three main groups that are: Colonial Brass (the basketball pep band which is SUPER fun), Symphonic Band, and University Wind Ensemble. While tryouts are mandatory at the beginning of the year, no willing participant is turned away, just put in a proper chair order.

With that said, be sure to watch our Colonial Men's and Women's Basketball teams as Basketball season tips off. Who knows, you may catch a glimpse of the Atlantic 10's most spirited pep band. HAIL TO THE BUFF AND BLUE !!!! GO COLONIALS!!!!

As always, feel free to contact me with questions or comments.

-Brandon Moore
brmoore@gwmail.gwu.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment