Friday, November 5, 2010

A Date With Idina Menzel


Last Friday I was given the privilegeno nothe Honor of getting to see Idina Menzel perform live at the Kennedy Center. If you've never been to the Kennedy Center, it is amazing. The space is endlessly inspiring (there are fancy quotes all over the place and a bust of Kennedy there...so inspiring  right?) and they have the Millennium StageA stage where there are free shows every night at 6:00pm. My freshman year, I got to see the Alvin Alley Dance Company perform for FREE at the Kennedy Center. There was no way I was going to be able to afford to see the other ticketed shows, so the opportunity to see it for free was really exciting.

The grand foyer of the Kennedy Center, Kennedy bust just chillin'

Anywho, back to my story. So my roommate decided to go home early for the weekend, so she offered me my ticket and I got to see Idina Menzel perform alongside Marvin Hamlisch!! and the National Symphony Orchestra. What was nice about the performance is that it was really personal: she inserted jokes, stories, and talked a lot about her career. I wasn't a huge fan of her before, but I am now.

Idina with Lea Michelle on Glee

One of the highlights was when she talked about what the show Rent meant to her (she was in the original production). It was her first big break, and it has had a lot to do with where she is now as an artist. She also performed songs that she and her husband wrote for their son (it was too cute). Apparently at the Kennedy Center Honors, Mrs. Menzel sat next to Barbara Streisand at dinner after performing her song...but Barbara Streisand didn't recognize her, and when prompted she responded, "Did you sing for me tonight? I didn't have my glasses," and then, "You were good." Poor Idina. Don't worry, I recognize you.

Come on Barbara, we're better than that.

Idina (we're on a first name basis now) performed some songs from Funny Girl, Wicked, and Rent, including "No Day But Today," which we (the audience) joined in singing with her. She also sang "Poker Face," which I have a lot of resentment about since it's essentially the same arrangement my a capella group did and I feel like Glee butchered it (I still love you Idina).

Here is a clip from the Kennedy Center Honors...Idina singing the song that Barbara Streisand apparently missed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W86lmxTTC1E

The great thing that came out of the occasion was that I realized I don't see enough live shows. So my goal for the rest of the semester is to see a live show every week. Tonight I'm seeing Al Jarreau for free in our very own Lisner Auditorium. But we can talk about him later.

'Til next time,

Ekiria

Questions...make the people...come together yeahhh: magalae@gmail.com

1 comment: