Monday, November 15, 2010

Majors and Minors and Concentrations, Oh My!

Cheesy title?  Check.  Apparently that's kinda what we GW bloggers do...

Ha but really.  I'm the type of person who is CONSTANTLY re-working my four year plan to make sure I've gotten all my classes right and whatnot.  With a double minor, two languages, and a potential semester abroad, I've got a pretty tight schedule.  I don't have room for ANY electives.  Period.  But I'm ok with it because I love my classes--for the most part.  I'm not the biggest fan of the math/science requirement (see a few posts ago!) and some GCR's (General Curriculum Requirements).

So as a result of my recent craze over four year planning (which for me is now 2-1/2 year planning), I've decided I'll take it upon myself to give some sage pointers for choosing a major.  It's perfectly OK to come into your freshman year as an "Undecided" major, but there's certainly a sense of satisfaction and peace of mind in already having at least an idea of what you want to do.  It's much easier than having to transfer schools after freshman year or what have you.  I have several friends this year who were in Columbian College and decided to switch to SMPA (School of Media & Public Affairs) or the Elliott School (International Affairs).  I even had one friend who changed his major from Engineering to Math to International Business--that's quite a leap!

This link goes to ALL of our Majors, Minors, and other academic offerings.  Some of them may surprise you.  Like, "Do schools really let you minor in that?  That's so cool!"  or "So GW doesn't just have poli-sci and diplomacy freaks? Whoa!"  Or something along those lines, hopefully.  See what you find!

I chose my major based on things I like to read and watch on TV, really.  It sounds very simple and inane, but I always really liked things with an international focus--languages, especially, and I was always fascinated with religious conflict (odd, I know.)  I'm also super interested in criminals, particularly serial killers and cults (even more odd, I also acknowledge that).  And adding all those things up, I amounted to a Middle Eastern Studies major with a double-minor in Religion and Criminal Justice.  How can I combine those interests into anything applicable?  That's the tough part.  But for now, I'm studying the things I'm most interested in, even if they don't have much of a correlation.

As always, email me for any reason under the stars: ShireenS@gwmail.gwu.edu
<3 Shireen

No comments:

Post a Comment