Monday, November 22, 2010

Hotel California

I am writing this blog from my direct Alaska Airline flight from LAX to DCA!!  Free internet, soda, snacks, and my own playlist make me smile.  (Especially after a 30 minute delay....)

You may be wondering why I was in LA right before Thanksgiving.  Well,  I went to meet some of you!  This weekend was our LA interview weekend.  Between 4 seniors, 2 admissions directors, parents and alumni, we completed almost 130 interviews! It was definitely a great opportunity to meet what I am sure are future GW students. 

Along with conducting interviews I was able to explore Los Angeles!  I went to In-and-Out Burger, Hollywood Walk of Fame, Rodeo Drive, Beverly Hills, Westwood, and West Hollywood!  It is was a fun-packed trip!

Natalie Wood's (Maria from West Side Story) Star on the Walk of Fame

At the end of each interview I gave the applicant an opportunity to ask me questions, and here are some of them that I wanted to share with you...
1) What has been your favorite class?: I took a long time to find an answer to this, but I finally decided.  Media Law was my favorite class.  Not only was it taught extremely well by Professor Sterling, but I have also been able to take the information I learned and apply it to other classes.  For example, in my human sexuality class, we had a debate about censorship in the media, and I was able to bring up the Supreme Court decisions about the subject to justify my argument.
2) What is your favorite/least favorite thing about GW?:  Surprisingly, the answers to both of these questions are the same.  There is always something to do at GW.  I am never bored on the weekend or during the evening.  Student organizations, campus partners, outside companies, and even individuals always have events! There is such a variety!  However, this can also get me distracted from my academics.  I often want to be a part of the events and participate, but have to bog down and study or write a paper.
3) What is the weather like in DC?: DC, like many other places in the country, has four complete seasons.  Winter is usually not as bad as it was this past year with Snowmageddon, but it gets a little chilly and snows occasionally.  Spring and Fall are temperate with temperatures in the 60's or so.  And Summers get hot and humid, but nothing completely unbearable.  For you readers who are worried about the cold, don't fret.  As long as you invest in a solid warm coat, you will be fine.

I hope those questions help!  If you have any others please let me know and I will be happy answer them!  Just email me at kwollner@gwu.edu.

Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment