Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Shireen's Tips for College Apps--Part Deux

In case you didn't read part one, let me fill you in:  I decided that I have enough authority and knowledge in the area of college applications that I took it upon myself to pass down some wisdom to you, my lucky readers.  In the first part, I discussed grades, standardized tests, and essays, so now we're on to aspects from the campus' side of things.


Interviews:  For many schools, interviews are neither required nor oft-given, but if you can snag one, it could be invaluable to your application.  GW offers interviews by admissions staff, but they fill up fast!  So if you're interested, look into it NOW!  No, look into it yesterday!


Don't be alarmed, though.  If you can't manage to finagle an interview, it's not the end of the world.  Promise.  If you're a strong candidate for acceptance, regardless of whether you were grilled by one of our mean and intimidating (total joke) admissions staffers, you'll get in.  However, an interview is something that could push you over the edge.  Like, if your app was so-so or right on the cusp, but you had an amazing interview, that could just be the deal-breaker.  


Even the action of just showing up for the interview shows that you're seriously considering the school--you made the trek out there, right?  We WANT eager undergrads, so if you show your interest in a big way like that, it'll probably pay off.  Plus, an interview adds a face, personality, and a story to your application.  It makes it stand out from the piles and piles of less enthusiastic kids' apps!


Visits:  Scheduling a visit is also incredibly important. Take it from me--I didn't visit GW before I got in, and I had no clue what I was missing!  (Or what I was in for...)  Also, admissions does keep track of who goes to their info sessions and whatnot.  Attendance at such events boosts up your eagerness rating, if nothing else.


Some people think that there's one perfect college for them and they'll walk on campus and all the butterflies will be a-flutter and a bird will eat out of their hand.  NOTHING IS MORE FALSE--though at GW, squirrels eat out of your hand!  You've heard it before, certainly, but it's so hard to get yourself out of that mindset that one college is the absolute.  Trust me, I get it completely.  Been there, done that, wrote the book (or blog!).  But it's imperative that you give each campus visit the most unbiased view possible.  And don't let the fact that it rained during your tour taint what could be your best match!  The weather is not your maker!


When in doubt, ASK!  Admissions staff are there for you to ask questions, so do it!  If only to plant your name in the back of their minds, just do it!  They are sooooooo knowledgeable, and can answer just about any question you throw at them.  And if they by some stroke of insanity can't answer your query, they will certainly direct you to someone who can.  


That goes for me, too!  (Minus the really knowledgeable part...)  Ask away!  Any questions you got, lay 'em on me!  ShireenS@gwmail.gwu.edu


<3 Shireen

No comments:

Post a Comment