Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Another Squirrel Post!

In case you read my previous post on the baby squirrel rescue: I swear I'm not weirdly obsessed with squirrels.  That being said, I have another really cute squirrel story.  It involves a little squirrel from Lafayette Park that my friend and I named "Alan Thomas."  It just seemed fitting.

So we were sitting at the park minding our own business when this adorable little guy approached us.  He was rather close, so my friend Hannah said, "Aw, I wish I had something to feed him!"  It was then that I realized that I had trail mix in my purse!  I pulled out the snack and we dug out some nuts to fee him.  At first, we tossed them to him, but then we decided it was time to hand-feed him--and he accepted!  After that, he took so many almonds, peanuts, and walnuts from our hands, eating some and burying the rest for later.  But he would always come back to us after he buried them!

Here he is taking an almond from my hand:


Tourists were taking pictures of us feeding Alan and one group of schoolkids asked if they could feed him too (we led them to believe he was our pet... oops!) and Alan accepted wholeheartedly!  We eventually had to leave when it started to rain, but it was such a fun afternoon!

Like my story?  Thanks!  Email me!  ShireenS@gwmail.gwu.edu
~~~ Shireen

No comments:

Post a Comment