Sunday, May 9, 2010

Finals Claustrophobia


Well, as of now I have one final standing between me and graduation on Saturday. The past two weeks have been a flurry of classes, reviews, study sessions with friends, and, of course, taking the exams. Luckily, I've had a few chances to get off campus and break away from my desk and study guides. While I love campus, sometimes, especially during finals, it's nice to remember that there is a world beyond GW and to get away from all the reminders of exams.

On Tuesday, Christie and I had an exam at 5:20pm, which we wrapped up in 40 minutes and then ran to our Zipcar for the night, which would take us to my graduation present... a Great Big Sea concert in Maryland! It was a bit of a trek to get there, all the way over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge in Easton, MD, a really cute little small town right off the Chesapeake. Here's where we went:


Easton. Maryland.


Avalon Theatre where we saw Great Big Sea from the 6th row!!!

We made it just as the opening act was finishing up... it was a long two-hour drive battling rush hour to get there but it was definitely worth it! The concert was awesome and I can't wait to see them live again soon!

Here's some video I took at the show:



They did a great cover of Slade's "Run, Run Away"!

After a great Tuesday night came more studying and exams, but yesterday I got to leave campus for one of my favorite annual events, the EU Open House! Basically, once a year in May all the European embassies that are part of the European Union open their doors to the public to showcase their native food, drink, and culture. Free food, drinks, and singing and dancing sound like fun? One caveat though: DO NOT, under ANY circumstances, rely on the free shuttles provided to take you from embassy to embassy. We made that mistake this year and only got to see 2 embassies, despite the fact that we started out at 1pm and it didn't end til 4pm. They were incredibly slow and we spent almost half of the those 3 hours waiting for a shuttle. My advice- take cab money and be able to enjoy the day.

That said, we did make it to the Polish and Lithuanian embassies and saw a couple others.



Polish Embassy.




Inside the Polish Embassy... listening to presentation on Chopin.


Yes, we went to the children's area and did some coloring... celebrating the 30th anniversary of the Solidarity movement in Poland!


Lithuanian Embassy.

Dancing at the Lithuanian Embassy!

Well, time to get back to studying for my last final of college!


~Vickie

No comments:

Post a Comment