Monday, February 8, 2010

Allow Me to Reintroduce Myself



   I just realized (from going through my blogs) that I got ahead of myself and forgot to introduce myself to all of you! My name is Ekiria Magala, and I'm a fourth-year student (SENIOR!) at GW. I'm from Los Angeles, California and I miss the sun, especially with this "Snowmaggedon" business that's been going around. I'm an English Major with a Creative Writing and a Music minor. I changed my major 6 times before deciding on this particular major, so I'm living proof that you can experiment a little in choosing a concentration. Some people come into college knowing what they want, some come in thinking they know what they want, and other people have to be open about finding what they want. I can guarantee you will fall into each of these categories at some point in your college career if you are asking the right questions.

    I write short stories (hence the minor) but I'm still finding my footing in creative writing in terms of perspective. My parents are Ugandan immigrants. I spent all of last summer abroad in Africa (South Africa then Uganda) visiting family, interning, and working on a training program called TEACH which I will write and post pictures about later. Traveling to Uganda was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. I'm very competitive, even more competitive than I'm usually willing to admit. I'm 5'2", funny, and prone to unintelligible outbursts whenever something really good happens.


  I live in City Hall with a random roommate who also happens to be a former nun (seriously). I play the Tuba. I'm an alto for the GW Troubadours, the University's oldest (and awesomest) coed a capella group. We're like a big happy family, but you get to audition all the new members and you sing together. My title in Troubadours is "Master of Fun," and I fully intend to live up to the title. I sing all the time, but I can stop for a little if you just ask nicely. I was President of City Hall's RAC last year. I'm learning how to write a grant this semester and how to develop a corporate sponsorship for an NGO. I write for the Arts and Life sections of the GW Hatchet, which has been really rewarding because I've gotten some publishing experience and learned a lot about the way I write. I also write for College Magazine. I can't study in the library because I get distracted when it's too quiet.


    My favorite color is green, I've never broken a bone, and I watch a lot of food network. I wasn't always sure I wanted to go to GW, but I began to see it's appeal after I got to meet Jimmy Carter (not that I'm particularly attached to him) after he came to speak in Lisner Auditorium. I speak Spanish and a little Luganda (even though I understand all of it). I worked for Tower Records for one day. I have to constantly remind myself why I'm doing something in order to keep myself motivated. I always feel the need to clarify myself with sidenotes (kind of like this one). Here are some more stats:

Favorite Movies: "Being John Malkovich," "Brown Sugar"
Favorite Book: "The Skin I'm In" -Sharon G. Flake
Favorite TV Shows: Grey's Anatomy (in the good ol' days), No Reservations, Private Practice, John Stewart, Gossip Girl, Flight of the Conchords
Favorite Quote: "People are always less mysterious than they think they are."
Favorite Music: R&B/Soul/Jazz
Favorite Musicians: Bob Dylan, Chrisette Michelle, Jill Scott, Anthony Hamilton
Favorite Songs: "Do You Feel Me"- Anthony Hamilton, "Natural Woman"- Aretha Franklin
Favorite Sport: Football (but Basketball is a close second)

Now that you know a little about me, I hope you'll be able to better understand where I'm coming from.
'Til Next Time

Ekiria

As always, your questions/comments are welcome:
magalae@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment