Saturday, February 6, 2010

Student Productions

Last night I had the pleasure of attending a musical production by the King's College of London Malaysian/Singaporean  Society. The musical was entitled, "Love Song for No One" and follows the journey of young girl, neglected by her family, into a new and foreign world (London) surrounded by constant change and modernisation. Along the way, she learns the different contexts in which love exist, be it familial, romantic or even platonic.


Credit: Kings College of London Malaysian/Singaporean Society

The production reminded me of the various student organizations I was involved in at GW and the year long effort expended in creating an elaborate show such as this. In fact, the Chinese American Student Association (CASA) has an annual Lunar New Year celebration that includes an all you can eat Chinese buffet, video shorts, traditional and modern dances, musical performances, and lion dancing. I remember working long nights with the executive committee and spending hours rehearsing. As difficult and stressful the production was, I loved every minute of it. I received so much joy and self-gratification while interacting with the people who were part of the celebration. I made some great friendships and it was a wonderful outlet from academics and school. I really love CASA (this is NOT an Asian-exclusive organization, everyone is welcome!) and would encourage everyone to check out either the celebration or the organization when they visit campus!
 
 Last year's Executive Board at the Annual Night Market

I'd love to answer any questions! Serena

No comments:

Post a Comment