Wednesday, February 24, 2010

SPRING FEVER (and study spots!)

Arrrrrright friends. Here’s the dealio: I’ve got Spring Fever! The weather’s gotten nice lately and I just wanna go out and walk in the park and play outdoors and do Spring-y things! (Yes, I know it’s still Winter, but 50 degree days is not bad at all, particularly considering the snowy war zone we were living just a few weeks ago!) And Spring’s like a month away!


But here’s the problem: I can’t really take advantage of the lovely weather of late, cause midterms are right around the corner! And by that, I mean now. Total buzz kill. So I thought I’d make this blog about alternative places to study (emphasizing the great outdoors). What makes it even better is that in doing this, I’m also responding to Ekiria and Kim who addressed study places in their recent blogs. Killing two spiders with one shoe, as I like to say! (Yep, you heard correctly. Cause I don’t kill birds.)
Keep in mind that my suggestions are based on my own studying needs, and I know that everyone requires different conditions to really get work done. Me, I’m not a library study person, really. I kind of need background noise. But I can’t listen to music, or I’ll find myself singing along in my head rather than getting anything done. I also work better in public—I think it has something to do with the pressure. Like, with all these people around, I can’t not study, they’d totally judge me! That may be irrational, but I just do whatever works!


1) The National Mall – how can you say no to that? I mean, really? It’s not a far walk, just bring a towel or blanket for the grass and voila! Also makes for a great picnic spot. Now, I realize that a lot of these outdoor places don’t have WiFi so you couldn’t do online work but that may be helpful as it would ensure that you don’t somehow end up on Facebook within 15 minutes.  This happens to me on the regular.


2) The Monuments – I’ve been known to just sprawl out on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial or the WW2 Memorial with a few books and get some reading done. This may not work for everyone, since there’s tourists everywhere and you’re likely to get bothered to take a photo or two, but I’ve always been very productive there.


3) The Courtyard inside the National Portrait Gallery – A really nice, quaint little area in the heart of the museum. It has tables and chairs that you could pile with all your work, and it’s not busy enough to be terribly distracting. Plus, in the meantime you can check out the sculptures and paintings throughout the museum.


4) Corner Bakery – Ok, now I’m going a bit commercial. But I’m a huge fan of Corner Bakery. The nearest location to campus is on 18th and Penn, I believe. And it’s so tasty. Allow me to recommend the Chicken Pomodori Panini or the Club Panini. They’re quite good. They have indoor and outdoor seating and free WiFi, so it’s really ideal. And yummy goodies. Win-Win-Win. Everyone wins.


Hope y’all liked my advice and little rant about the weather! I haven’t gotten an email in a while, so I suggest that YOU be the one to change that! ShireenS@gwmail.gwu.edu


 ~~~Shireen


No comments:

Post a Comment