Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Florida Avenue Grill: Embracing All of D.C.


  This is for the readers that like to eat, but specifically those of you that like good food. Typically I wouldn't share one of my breakfast spots so openly, but I'm pretty sure my life changed forever when I went to Florida Avenue Grill Sunday morning. It all started late on Thursday night, when my friend Matt made an off-handed comment about knowing the best breakfast place ever. I hear that sort of thing a lot in D.C. so I'm usually skeptical whenever people try to tell me about food. We talked about it again Saturday night and Sunday morning at around 2:00 pm we finally started to make our way over to Florida Ave (keep in mind we're in college so breakfast, lunch, and dinner are blurred and brunch doesn't end until 3:30 pm). The restaurant is about 3-4 blocks from the U Street metro stop and there are a lot of restaurants/apartments buildings in the area. When we got there I wasn't sure what to expect, it's clear from the exterior of the restaurant that not much has been done in the way of renovations since it opened it's doors in 1944, but once we got inside it was incredibly clean.

   This is one of those places that makes you swell with D.C. pride. There were pictures of celebrities, political figures, and an inordinate amount of boxers with championship belts covering the wall. Everyone from (I kid you not) Janet Reno to Ludacris to Jasmine Guy. I'm thinking about writing Obama a list of restaurants to try in D.C. and as of Sunday this one is at the top. The first indication that it wasn't your typical corner-breakfast-place was the coffee. It was actually good AND I wanted more (2 cups more to be exact). I got the pancake special, which was two giant pancakes, eggs any style, sausage or bacon, and either homefries, fried apples, or grits, for $8.50. The waitress even gave all of us biscuits while we waited for our food (apparently we looked as hungry as we were). Among other things they had a "Recession Meal," which was fried chicken, biscuits, fries, and a drink for under 5 bucks, and there were signs posted everywhere because they recently added vegan bacon and sausage to their menu.

   A lot of people overlook unique food opportunities when they come to D.C. Restaurants like the ones on U Street and the surrounding neighborhoods offer great opportunities for good food, fun, and cultural exchange. There's a Jamaican restaurant called the Islander that I've been meaning to try that is on the same street as Florida Ave Grill. Down the street from that there is an Ethiopian restaurant and across the street from that there is a Ghanaian restaurant. Ben's Chili Bowl, a D.C. favorite, is just right across the street from the U Street Metro stop but it's a totally different kind of D.C. than you experience in Foggy Bottom. For me, eating has become another way to explore the city, to be exposed to new cultures, and step outside my comfort zone.


'Til Next Time

Ekiria

As always, your questions/comments are welcome:
magalae@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment