Thursday, February 4, 2010

#13 and More Snow

 Hi guys,

So last night we got  a huge pile of snow! The sunshine melted most of it this morning, but last night walking home from my intramural basketball game, the snow was coming down and Washington Circle looked so beautiful! Even though it was around 11 p.m., I was inspired to take my camera out and invited my roommates along. We went to the Circle and decided we should make a snowman. So we did.

We named him Gibson, after our building, and he lasted even though most of the snow melted today. DC is supposed to get massive amounts of snow on Friday into Saturday, so I'm excited to see if Gibson will last that long. After we built him, which took a surprising amount of time and strength (snow can get really heavy!), our friend Greta met up with us and we had a snowball fight. It felt so good to actually embrace the snow, as opposed to complain about it, which is so easy to do in a city that doesn't really know how to handle snow (Sidenote: I've never even seen a plow in this city and it's snowed at least 4 or 5 times since I've lived here). We came back to our apartment, changed into dry clothes, and settled in to watch a movie. We were hopeful that we would get at least a delayed opening, so we sipped on some hot chocolate, munched some popcorn, and cozied up under some blankets and watched a scary movie called Sunshine (actually kind of an ironic title for such a snowy night). It was a great way to spend a wintery night.


On Sunday, a few of my friends and I went ice skating at the National Gallery of Art's Sculpture Garden down on the National Mall. It's so much fun and I'm happy to say, I can finally cross number 13 off my 101 Things to Do list. We also went to lunch at the National Museum for the American Indian, which has the most amazing cafeteria in DC. It's a hidden gem with some of the most amazing options, like Buffalo chilli, Mexican hot chocloate, and all sorts of other delicious regional and traditional American Indian foods. The Mall was bustling with people taking pictures and enjoying the snow, which in this city, you never know how long it will last!  Check out some more pictures of a snowy DC from my weekend!
--Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment