Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Museums and Cupcakes!

So to address Erikka's challenge, one of my favorite places is the School of Business Building. It has tons of group study space on the third and fourth floors and a huge study lounge on the first floor. Reservations are needed for the study spaces, but often time you can see who reserved it for the time slot and leave when they arrive. Another study space on campus that's often overlooked are the dorm common rooms. Though far from glamorous and located in the basement of most buildings, people rarely go down there to do anything and so it's quite secluded. I don't venture off campus very much because I'm able to study in my room for the most part...hopefully this sparks some light bulbs for people!

So yesterday I had the chance to visit the Victoria and Albert Museum in South Kensington, London. It's a quirky museum full of a variety of art and exhibitions from all eras. It is impossible to go through the museum in an entire day because towards the end everything looses its autonomy and begins looking very similar. My favorite aspect was the fashion exhibit and had a few classic pieces from Chanel, Givenchy, McQueen, etc
 
On the topic of museums, I'm sure everyone is aware of the array of museums in DC; my favorite by far is the Newseum. It opened just a few years ago and is an interactive museum of news and journalism. They have a great photojournalism exhibit and made a few of my friends and I teary-eyed due to its power in conveying the circumstances at that time. They also have a fun exhibit where you can act and film yourself as a newscaster. The rooftop view is absolutely amazing and a lot of  political fundraisers and social galas take place at night. 

After I went to the Victoria and Albert Museum, I decided to get cupcakes at the famous Hummingbird Bakery. Of course I got the signature Red Velvet and a Vanilla Cupcake with Chocolate frosting.
 
 My favorite cupcake store in DC is Georgetown Cupcakes. They're located in the center of Georgetown, across from Dean and Delucas.They're currently filming a new TLC reality show, "Working Sisters" and so I encourage everyone to wear their soon-to-be George Washington Gear and to go buy a cupcake...gotta make those cameos (perhaps I'm just a sucker for celebrity and reality TV). If you don't want to spend money buying a cupcake, everyday around 3pm they give out a free cupcake...take advantage of that while you can!  

Serena


No comments:

Post a Comment