Thursday, May 6, 2010

They tried to make me go to rehab, but I said... GOOD GOD YES!

As I'm sure you all know, it's finals time.  This has caused my life to take a turn for the worst.  I come to you today to admit that I, Shireen, have a caffeine problem.

I hit rock bottom Sunday night, the night before (what I thought would be) my hardest final.  I had an espresso shot and chased it by chugging down a mug of dark french roast--black, of course.  I just needed to stay up all night to study!  Then, I nursed a second coffee the rest of the night.  I decided to get in some sleep in the weeee early morning, so I took some Benadryl to get me drowsy.  It worked, and I slept for two hours.  However, when I woke up, I was twitching around my right eye area.  Also I was jumpier than usual and felt AWFUL.  The test ended up being WAY easier than I expected, and I realized that I had wasted all that time not sleeping and not studying for the test (which DID end up being really hard).  Awesome.  My friends advised me that maybe I should quit the habit.  I agreed.

And the thing is, I'm not a Starbucks person or anything like that, I make my own coffee in a Cuisinart 12-cup coffee pot.  I don't drink it daily, but almost every day, and days that I don't have coffee I surely have tea.  And days that I do drink coffee, I have 2 cups.  That's not that bad, right?  I never thought I had a problem, but the overdose Sunday night proved me WAY wrong.

So yesterday I went cold turkey.  One of THE WORST decisions I ever could have made.  My withdrawal headache was phenomenal, and no matter how many ibuprofens I took nothing helped, so I had to dose myself with just a bit more coffee.  Now, I've decided cutting myself off completely is dangerous, so I'm drinking tea daily to wean myself off slowly and safely.

I'll keep you updated with my recovery.

Support me through emails!  Shireens@gwmail.gwu.edu

<3 Shireen

No comments:

Post a Comment