Friday, January 28, 2011

Why am I so busy?

I am really not sure why, but this semester has been my busiest so far.  And it's still young--not even February yet!  I feel like I'm just always doing something for classes or for my student orgs (Voices for Choices and The Global Language Network--look into 'em!)  I blame it mostly on my Persian class, which is a 4 credit language course and requires a great deal of time spent on homework.  Also, I wasn't in the level 1 class last semester, so I've got a ways to catch up with the rest of the class (like, 7 people).

Luckily, I haven't stressed myself to death yet.  It's been tough, but I've used some key stress-relieving tools:

1)  Make sleep a priority.  Even if you can't get a full 8 hours--in fact, as a college student you probably can't on weekdays ever, aim for 5-6.  It's so so so vital, if you pull a bunch of all nighters in a short span of time, it catches up with you and you BURN OUT.  No two way's about it.  Even if you go for a few 3 hour nights here and there, make sure you catch up with that sleep asap.

2)  Cook comfort food!  If you really can't cook or don't have the means to, Au Bon Pain (known affectionately as ABP by GW students) has some delicious Mac & Cheese that has certainly gotten me through some midterms and finals, but if you can, cook!  Yes, it does take some time out of your schedule that you could spend on work, but it's worth it.  Your body and mind will both thank you.  Cooking is just relaxing, and if you can reap the benefits of a tasty meal and some added comfort, you'll feel much better working your tush off later.

3)  Take a walk.  Not a run, a walk.  This is partially to get you moving from your post in the Gelman cubes, yes, but also to clear your head.  On a run, you don't take in your surroundings quite as well.  The purpose of this is to be pensive and take in the sights and people-watch.  Even ten minutes around the neighborhood is enough stress relief to get in a couple solid hours of work afterwards.  And there are so many great places to walk to in our area--the White House, the Lincoln Memorial, the DuPont neighborhood, and Georgetown.

I know you've heard one or all of these tips before.  But I challenge you: have you followed them?  I know I haven't always done it.  So try my methods on for size!


Stay strong, you busy bees!  Email me about whatever: ShireenS@Gwmail.gwu.edu
<3 Shireen

No comments:

Post a Comment