Saturday, January 15, 2011

Vincent Gray--Mayor of DC & GW Alum

There are tons of notable alumni from GW who are now ambassadors for the US, human rights activists, successful businessmen, and of course, politicians. On Wednesday morning I had the opportunity to attend a breakfast honoring Vincent Gray, the new mayor of DC! While at GW, Mayor Gray obtained a BA in psychology and was the first African American to join a campus fraternity, Tau Epsilon Phi, where he served as President for two terms. It was heartwarming to listen about his experience as one of three DC African American students at GW and how his GW education changed his life. Similar to Mayor Gray, I am also the first person from my family to attend college and find my 4 years at GW to be life altering. During his speech he mentioned the Trachtenberg Scholarship--a full scholarship for DC high school graduates, of which I am a receipent, and cannot imagine how I could have managed to attend such a great university otherwise. Through GW, my world view has expanded exponetially, studied abroad twice, gained a group of best friends, and interacted with impressive colleagues and professors...I'm getting emotional as I write about this because I cannot imagine life post-graduation and how much I'll miss this place.
-Serena

A few links about Mayor Gray: Mayor Gray's Win; Breakfast Ceremony
A few pictures from the Breakfast:

Fellow Trachtenberg Scholars

Great free breakfast...can't beat that!

Mayor Gray speaking

No comments:

Post a Comment