Thursday, January 27, 2011

Why Teachers Hate When Class Isn't Cancelled..

So we all love when class is cancelled for snow, as you can see from all the posts below!! But yesterday GW cut it close with a lot of teachers and made it difficult for afternoon class teachers to have an easy drive home. My chemistry professor sent us an email I thought I would share with you all about a horrible drive home:

"Hi Chemistry 1112 Section 10 Students!

I was just listening to WTOP Radio. They stated that the worse commute yesterday was on the GW Parkway. Guess who had to use the GW Parkway to get home! It truly was what they termed the “commute from hell”! The driving conditions at times frightened me… My Volkswagen is not a sled!

I left GW at 4:10 PM after our Chemistry lecture. It took me 30 minutes to reach the Roosevelt Bridge. It took me another 10 minutes to get to the entrance of the parkway. MY ONLY OPTION AT THIS TIME IS THE GEORGE WASHINGTON PARKWAY. I was on that road from 4:50 PM until 2:30 AM. I arrived in Reston at 5 AM this morning after having to also use routes 495, 267, and 7 … A 13 hour commute to go 26 miles! I bet I saw at least 400-500 abandoned cars during my 13 hour commute."

Photo from the Washington Post
How insane! I am happy that she is safe along with everyone else who would have attempted to drive to teach class this morning. For us on campus, it's easy to get to class and walk wherever we need to go but there are some treacherous situations out there for cars.

So hope everyone is enjoying their cancelled classes :)
- Marisa

No comments:

Post a Comment