Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Inner Yogi

Hello everyone! I am writing from the 6th floor of Gelman Library at the public access computers. These computers make my life so much easier on Tuesday and Thursday mornings when I have class from 9:35 AM to 10:50 AM and then yoga at 12:10 PM. My creative writing class is only the beginning to my relaxed morning! I bring my yoga mat and try to do some homework in the library in between so that I don't have to walk the same 5 blocks twice... yep, I am lazy :)

I thought I'd tell you all about the group fitness classes at the gym. I mentioned them earlier on this month when the schedule of group fitness classes was posted, but I thought I'd give you an idea of each class offered! Here are the most popular classes on campus:

"Intense" Classes
Cycle An intense cardio class performed on stationary bikes that utilizes various training techniques and motivational strategies to simulate actual riding experiences.
Hard CORE A variation on the basic Abs class, Hard CORE uses innovative exercises to target your entire core: including abdominals, obliques, and lower back.
Hot Cardio Dance A fun form of dance workout that combines hip-hop, funk, and other popular dance moves. The choreography is easy to learn and focuses on giving a great cardio workout while strengthening the hips and core.
Boot Camp A great mix of cardio, sculpting, and interval training moves will have you moving all around the room for this challenging combo class. The variety of moves will keep you on your toes and having fun while you workout.
Zumba Join the Latin dance sensation with this fusion of Salsa, Merengue, Cha-Cha, Reggaeton, and Belly Dancing moves. Set to Latin and International music, Zumba TM creates a dynamic, exciting, and effective workout.

Mind and Body Classes
Gentle Yoga A gentle mix of relaxing and calming movements combined with breath. This class is perfect for beginners as well as people with specific limitations and those recovering from injury. More experienced students who enjoy a slower paced class also enjoy Gentle Yoga.
Pilates This mat-based class is designed to lengthen and stretch muscles while doing toning exercises. You will develop balance, posture, coordination, strength and flexibility.
Power Yoga A fast paced Vinyasa class designed to challenge the body through fluid flow that incorporates strength, flexibility, and breath. Be ready to sweat!
Vinyasa Yoga A classic fluid flow that links movement with breath. It is known for its dynamic and creative sequences.

Hope this gives you a good idea of our classes! I'm off to Gentle Yoga.. I'm sort of an advanced beginner right now so the relaxing movements help me really focus on getting the poses correct!
Questions? marisaw@gwmail.gwu.edu
- Marisa

No comments:

Post a Comment