Monday, January 17, 2011

Joining A Student Org

So you may think joining a student organization is something you can only do when you are a freshman.. and that thought is totally wrong! Each semester, there is a student organizational fair where all the student orgs can showcase their recent works, explain their mission to those who are interested, and recruit new members. The student org fair was last Monday in the Marvin Center and though I was there with Health Leads (previously Project HEALTH on campus) and working with my organization to try to recruit more people interested in changing health care in America, I found myself interested in other organizations that our school has to offer!

This semester I ended up applying for GlobeMed, an organization that partners with a grassroots organization in Rwanda to improve the health of people living in poverty. Their grassroots organization is currently focused on a clinic and the community it serves, and is building a waiting room for the clinic once fundraising reaches $16,000!! Crazy but totally achievable because they have already raised $11,000 this past semester through multiple cool events.

The new member dinner was on Saturday night and I have to admit I was pretty nervous because I don't know many people who are in the organization, much less anyone who was just joining. It was really fun though and I was one of three sophomores who have just joined the organization! We went to Thai Kingdom on 2021 K Street which was great because it was really empty and spacious! I recommend it and their pad thai is really good. :)

So there you go. Joining student organizations is not reserved for freshman and definitely for everyone!
marisaw@gwmail.gwu.edu
- Marisa

No comments:

Post a Comment