Sunday, January 30, 2011

Freshman Recipe Book: Baked Apple(s)

Here's another yummy dessert recipe, but this one's for when you feel like being a bit healthier.  It's also slightly easier to make!  If you're not familiar with my ongoing series, Freshman Recipe Book, click on my picture below to find all my posts!  For now, here's my take on a classic fall comfort, the Baked Apple.  

What you will need:
1 apple
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg 
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon butter
Chopped walnuts, optional
Raisins, optional
What you probably already have: a microwave-safe plate

Partially core the apples in a way that leaves the bottom intact, while still getting the seeds and junk out.  Mix the brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg, and spoon the sugar mixture into the cored apple.  Set a teaspoon (or more to your taste) of butter on top of the apple. Place the apple in your microwaveable bowl, and cover.  Microwave for 3 1/2 to 4 minutes, or until tender. Let the apples sit for a couple minutes before serving, and scatter with chopped nuts and raisins.  If you're feeling a little more indulgent, roll the apple in some cinnamon and sugar before microwaving it, or sprinkle some extra sugar over top!


Like it?  I thought so.  Check back for plenty more recipes!  I've got millions and zillions up my sleeve.  And email me so I know these aren't useless.  ShireenS@gwmail.gwu.edu

~~~Shireen

No comments:

Post a Comment