Monday, January 17, 2011

Logistics Logjam

This map (besides showing why I am majoring in International Affairs and not Fine Arts) shows the cause of this, the weekend of my discontent--or at the least my relative discontent (it is a three-day weekend, after all).

The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority shut down the Foggy Bottom-GWU metro station this weekend! So, my life became slightly more complicated. Metro is one of those things that you don't appreciate until it's gone, and while the station will re-open tomorrow, I won't be forgetting anytime soon just how much it improves our lives here at GW.

Even given the minor inconvenience presented, though, I have to give WMATA high marks for handling this on MLK weekend. They knew that people would still need to get from DC to Virginia and back, so they set up a very quick, helpful and free shuttle bus service from the front of the Foggy Bottom station to the Rosslyn station, across the river in Arlington, Virginia. (The arrows on the map above bear little-to-no relationship to the route the buses take. The face, though, accurately reflects my expression on first hearing the station would be closed this weekend.)

There were WMATA workers everywhere to help confused tourists and commuters. Maybe I shouldn't laud the agency for doing its job right--but it seemed to me like this was an example of a government agency (in this case, a joint MD-DC-VA venture) doing a pretty good job. Things like Metro help make DC livable.

--Adam

Questions? Comments? Disagree with my assessment of Metro's performance?Let me know at ash1290@gwmail.gwu.edu.

No comments:

Post a Comment