Thursday, April 28, 2011

Seeing Dr. Shirin Ebadi

A week ago, I saw Nobel Peace Prize winner Shirin Ebadi at a day-long conference at the Elliott School of International Affairs!  I realize it's rather late to be posting on this, but it's been on my to-do list all week, really!

For the past 5 (I think...!) years, the Middle Eastern Studies department of the Elliott School has had a spring conference dedicated to an important subject in Middle Eastern current events.  This year, the subject was Iran in Transition, and it hosted a whole host of lecturers from GW as well as other esteemed universities and international relations think tanks throughout the country.  

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to attend the whole conference since I had several classes and a final that day, but I made sure I was there for the keynote speaker, Dr. Ebadi.  It was so cool to see her!  Especially since she was in the documentary I saw recently at DC Filmfest--her ideology and powerful messages were fresh in my mind.  One drawback was that she had to speak through a translator.  Being a partial-Persian speaker, I was able to understand a good bit of what she said, so it was a bit toilsome hearing her say a sentence then having to hear the same thing again in English.  It took away from the time I got to hear her!  (Though I'll admit it was helpful to my comprehension)  And it's so cool that I got to have this experience, I made all my Iranian family jealous!

Dr. Shirin Ebadi, my namesake and a pretty awesome and prolific lady.
Keep emailing me!  ShireenS@gwmail.gwu.edu

<3 Shireen

No comments:

Post a Comment