Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Cherry Blossom Festival


On Sunday, my day off from volleyball, I woke up earlier than usual (at least earlier than I do on Sundays) and walked down to the National Mall to watch the end of the Cherry Blossom 10 mile run (I knew multiple people running in the races—the 10 mile and the 5K). Let me tell you, it was ridiculously crowded; I had a hard time finding the people I was trying to meet. Later on, I met my roommate at the World War II Memorial and we proceeded to sit there in the sun for well over an hour just because it felt so nice in the sun and the memorial was blocking the intense, cold wind. When we decided that it was finally time to get up and walk around, we head over to the cherry blossoms and took some pictures since we have less than 5 pictures together from the entire year. We were trying to kill time before going to brunch with her family.That area with all of the cherry blossoms was filled with people taking pictures and walking around, enjoying the beautiful sights. 
 
Then we decided to walk over to Old Ebbitt Grill (located on 15th Street near the White House) for brunch. My advice, if you plan on going to brunch at a restaurant on a Sunday, especially during the cherry blossom festival, make reservations in advance. We did not and we ended up waiting a ridiculously long time since there were not any other places open for brunch in the immediate area. We finally got seated and had a wonderful brunch (even though by then it was actually lunch time, but we all still had brunch foods). I ordered the Grand Marnier French Toast, which was really good and I would definitely recommend it. I always enjoy eating at Old Ebbitt Grill and the service is very fast, which only makes the experience more pleasant, especially after the long wait time. After brunch, my roommate and I went back to our room and took a nap (I was exhausted from waking up early and walking from my dorm and all over the National Mall and to the Old Ebbitt). The rest of my night was dedicated to homework, which was actually quite relaxing after being out and about for majority of the day.

P.S. Yesterday was absolutely gorgeous. 85 degrees and sunny, not rainy as they predicted. As a result, my other roommate and I ventured down to the monuments and cherry blossoms to enjoy the summer-like weather. I couldn’t resist going back down there for a second day in a row, the weather was too wonderful to pass up. (Hence the following pictures.)





-Christie

No comments:

Post a Comment