Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Green Wave--DC Filmfest

As previously mentioned, I'm a huge fan of DC's annual film festival, and I try to see as many of the films as I possibly can in the short time span I'm allotted.  On Friday night, I saw The Green Wave, a German-made movie with Persian and English language about the 2009 elections and resulting violence in Iran.  So this was reeee-heee-hee-heally up my alley.  100%.


It was a great film, really mobilizing and impassioning--particularly for someone who was somewhat involved in the crisis, as I was.  Back then, I made a Twitter account solely so I could get updates on the protests and the consequences they would produce.  I deleted it soon after the fervor died; no need for that silliness, in my opinion.  But I really empathized with some of the characters in the documentary, partially because it's hard not to think of what your own feelings would be if you were imprisoned for seemingly no reason, and partially because I remember what it was like when I thought some of my cousins over there may have gone missing, or worse.  A really powerful film that is sad and thought-provoking (as so many Iranian films are!) without sacrificing a shred of hope for the future (as so many Iranian films are NOT!)  Haha.  But definitely a great movie.  It also parallels to some of the uprisings that have been happening in the Muslim world in recent days.

Here's the trailer, tell me that's not powerful:


Sorry it's so tiny, Youtube embedding is being kinda weird.

Let me know what you think!  ShireenS@gwmail.gwu.edu

<3 Shireen


No comments:

Post a Comment