Wednesday, April 27, 2011

"What are GW students like?"

Hi everyone! I recently got an email from David, an admitted prospective freshman at GW! Here was his question...

"What can you tell me about students at GW? What is student life like? What do you do for fun? Are they the kind of students who just like to party, to stay up late talking about politics, some healthy mix, or something completely different? What would you tell someone like me who has never met a GW student before about GW students as a whole?"


This question was a hard one to answer because there is no way I can generalize about the GW campus!! Students at GW are a mix like at any school/ There are definitely a large amount of people who come from the East Coast, and then a mix of people from everywhere else in the U.S. and abroad. A large percentage of the campus is involved in Greek life (around 25%) which can show more of the "party" aspect of the school at times. But personally, I do not find it to be overwhelming because most of my friends are not involved. My friends are are a healthy mix of fun and serious intellect but most of my friends are in the Elliott School for International Affairs. I think it really depends on your major and who you take classes with!

Student life is great for me because I wasn't interested in coming to a school with a lot of school spirit, truthfully. If you want to be really involved in student life on campus, then it is easy to get involved with campus administration, Greek life, sports events, student organizations, and so much more! I have been involved greatly with one student organization but it is based off campus and then I've been involved with admissions through this blogging position!

For fun, students do anything from going on midnight monument tours, hanging out in dorms playing games/being crazy on the weekends, going out to dinner or clubs, walking around Georgetown, sitting outside on campus when it's sunny, going to movies, volunteering around campus and off-campus, and more. It is really a normal mix of student fun except that we are in a very urban city which leads to a more involved lifestyle with the city for example. 

I hope that answered your question, David, and also you other readers! Email me if you have any other questions! I know it's getting close to your decision deadline so make sure you make an educated decision :) marisaw@gwmail.gwu.edu
- Marisa

No comments:

Post a Comment