Sunday, April 17, 2011

English Workshop Classes at GW


This semester, I have been in Introduction to Creative Writing. For those of you wanting to take English or be an English major at GW, I really recommend it! Though I am not an English major, it definitely is my first choice of electives and it has really helped me grow as a writer. I am no longer intimidated to sit down at my desk with a pen or with my computer to outline a story idea that pops into my head or the skeleton of a poem. In this class, we wrote a nonfiction short story, a fiction short story, and three poems.

In this class, the strongest and best part of it has been workshopping people's work. I have enjoyed work shopping my own work as well as the works of others. It has been an amazing transformation for me to watch people move from elementary comments (“I loved your work”) into developed and constructive criticism (“It would be helpful here to add a transition to understand the time shift”). I have enjoyed working with my peers to improve my own writing while helping them focus their thoughts on paper as well.

My biggest accomplishment this semester was feeling empowered enough to submit my work to George Washington University’s literary magazine, Wooden Teeth. Before this class, I would have never thought of trying to write anything for publication and much less even think of submitting my work for others to read. I was empowered through the workshops of my writing and positive comments or suggestions from others to change my work in ways to make it more relatable and understandable. I am ecstatic that Wooden Teeth will be publishing my poem, “Peaches,” in their spring edition. It seems unreal that this could happen so quickly but I am happy for the recognition!

As always, questions are welcome! marisaw@gwmail.gwu.edu
- Marisa

No comments:

Post a Comment