Monday, April 18, 2011

Sunday was a Beautiful Day for 7 hours of Baseball

This past weekend, my hometown MLB team, the Milwaukee Brewers came to DC to play the Washington Nationals for 3 days straight (Friday night, Saturday night, and Sunday afternoon). Last year, I ended up going to all 3 games (as you can probably tell, I am not only an avid football fan, but an avid baseball fan as well). This year I was only able to attend 2 out of the 3 games due to commitments for the volleyball team.

So I was originally planning on going to Saturday’s game, but as some of you may know if you live in the area, it was storming all day—tons of rain, thunder, etc. As a result, the game was rained out. So on Saturday I was pretty bummed especially since I had already bought tickets for me and the group of friends that were coming with me (and some of those people could not come with on Sunday). Currently, I am working on getting a refund for those tickets. Because the game was cancelled on Sunday and the fact that the Brewers are not scheduled to come back to DC to play the Nats for the remainder of this season, they decided to make up Saturday’s game on Sunday 30 minutes after the 1st one ended, turning the day into a doubleheader. I was pretty excited about this because that meant an entire day dedicated to baseball, literally an entire day. We left campus at 11:30am and did not return to my room until after 7:30pm. The metro ride to Nationals Stadium is really easy once you know where you are going (Foggy Bottom to L'Enfant Plaza to Navy Yard) and it only take roughly 30 minutes.

The weather was beautiful, roughly 68 degrees, sunny, with slight wind. In the sun it was almost too hot, but in the shade with the wind, it got kind of cold (never satisfied haha). Our seats were really good (reserved bleachers in left field), but when the 2nd game rolled around, we were completely in the shade, so when people cleared out after the 1st, we moved over to the reserved bleachers in centerfield where the sun currently resided. I even got a bit of sun burn on my face, which will hopefully fade into a tan, As for the results of the games, unfortunately the Brewers somehow lost both even though they are considered the better team. Oh well. Everything else about the day was really fun. It was a beautiful day for baseball and it was nice to take a break from the routine of homework currently going on right before the end of classes. This is just another perfect example of fun things to do while in DC!

The outside of Nationals Stadium

One of their president mascots, George!

The group minus one (these were our seats)

Beautiful day for baseball

Crowd doing the wave
After we relocated to center field for 2nd game
(*all photos courtesy of Katie)
Feel free to email me with any questions cbgraf@gwmail.gwu.edu.

-Christie

No comments:

Post a Comment