Thursday, March 3, 2011

My Favorite Class

This semester, I have been attempting to diversify my schedule a lot and it is really been a good choice. I'm taking U.S. Diplomatic History, Intro to Global Health and Development, Chemistry, Geography of Latin America, and Intro to Creative Writing.

In high school, I really loved to write. I took Historical Fiction and Urban Literature, trying to expand my writing horizons and learn about different authors and types of writing. Last semester, I was in Black American Literature which had a huge component of history in it. But by far, my favorite class has been Creative Writing this semester. Not only am I able to write about whatever topic I want, we write poetry, nonfiction, and fiction so there is a wide variety!

While this class is hard to get into as a freshman or sophomore, you should definitely try. There are usually at least 10 sections of the class (or more) and I snagged one of the last 9:35 AM slots on registration day. It is really laid back and relaxing to workshop poetry and prose all morning and allows me to have some creativity in what I write for school!

All together, my classes end up complimenting each other nicely. I solve problems in Chemistry, write papers in US Diplomatic History, learn about global issues in Global Health and Development, focus on the culture and people in Geography of Latin America, and then get to be creative and inventive in Creative Writing! Right now I am writing a fiction piece about the Spanish inquisition and a Jewish family who is forced to migrate across the Atlantic- and ends up traveling to Hispaniola on Christopher Columbus' boat! :)

Questions? As always, marisaw@gwmail.gwu.edu
- Marisa

No comments:

Post a Comment