Monday, March 7, 2011

First Spring Volleyball Tournament (Naval Academy)

On Saturday my volleyball team and I (GW Varsity Volleyball) played in our first tournament of our spring season at the Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland. We played in this tournament last year and did fairly well (plus I played a completely different position than I normally do—I had to play setter because our setter quit a few weeks previously). Unlike last year, however, I did not have my own cheering section (last year my sister Vickie who was a senior here at GW and two of her roommates came to watch and tour around the area). Here is her blog post about last year’s tournament:
http://gwadmissions.blogspot.com/2010/03/weekend-outing-spring-break.html
We departed from GW’s campus at 7am in our team vans and arrived at the Naval Academy at approximately 8am. This was our pool play schedule: play UMBC at 9am, ref Bucknell vs.Navy at 10am, play Bucknell at 11am, ref Navy vs UMBC at 12pm, and play Navy at 1pm. We ended up winning all of our pool play matches in 2 games (tournaments are best 2 out of 3).

Then the playoffs, otherwise known as the championship, started at 3pm, with us playing Delaware. We won the first game, but our exhaustion proved to be too much and we lost the next 2, losing the championship in 3 games. We ended up leaving the Naval Academy at roughly 5pm and arrived back on campus at 6pm. What I love about this tournament is the location. Annapolis/ Naval Academy is gorgeous! The weather was not too great, kind of cold and really windy but the sights were still beautiful.

-Christie

No comments:

Post a Comment