Saturday, February 26, 2011

Why GW is a real choice: Part I

So the end of February has come again, and the college applications are in. My younger brother just finished submitting his last month, and so this year's college competition is one I'm taking much more seriously. 

I want to address this post to all of the applicants out there who may like GW, like our programs, and believe that they can get a good education here, but may be dissuaded by the cost.


Dear Prospective GW Students,

As you'll hear from our world-class political science faculty sometime early in your freshman year, any rational decision maker--that is, anyone who uses logic to figure out the most efficient way to get what they want from any situation in life--takes both cost and benefit into account.

Most people looking at GW seriously have a pretty good idea of one half of that equation: the benefits. Especially for history, journalism, social science and international affairs, a GW education opens doors that few competitor schools can. This is increasingly true for science and math as well--President Knapp is invested in improving our institution's natural science research output, and the new faculty members and facilities slated for the next few years put GW on track to do just that...

...but you know all that. It's your perception of the other side of the cost-benefit equation--whether the seemingly high price tag of a GW education is worth it-- that I want to address.
First of all--let's get this out of the way--it's worth it.
Second, the cost isn't nearly as high as you probably think.

I graduated from a small high school in suburban New Jersey with a decent, but unspectacular, GPA (about 3.77, including weighted courses--without weighting it would be more like 3.2 or 3.3). I had good test scores and my grades had improved a lot since freshman year. I loved GW when I first visited in summer 2007, the academic programs were perfect for my interests and I really enjoyed my interview. (I like to think that in academic terms I have repaid the trust Admissions and Financial Aid put in my application--my GPA is higher now without weighting than it was at any point during high school.)

But I was still worried, back then, that I wouldn't be able to go to college where I wanted to because of financial concerns.

Long story short, coming here to GW turned out to be less expensive and more predictable in for my family's tight budget than attending my state universities. Here are a few reasons why:
-Due to generous grants, my base tuition rate is under half of GW's regular rate.
-Combine that with subsidized (no-interest) Stafford loans, and total cost of attendance (room and board too) is knocked down around 60%.
-GW's five-year fixed-tuition guarantee policy means that I knew from August 2008 what I would be paying until May 2012, when I will graduate. Any additional costs, like room and board, are also predictable well in advance, and a variety of housing options lets you keep those under control as well.

I've shared some personal details not because I'm awesome or exceptional, but because at GW I am unexceptional. This is just anecdotal evidence, but I think it's significant: in my five-and-a-half semesters here so far, I have personally known only one person who paid full tuition.

GW is a real choice. Do your financial homework and you can make it work for you. And if you think I or any of the other bloggers can help, don't hesitate to email us.

--Adam

Next time: I'll bring up some common financial-aid questions and challenges, along with GW resources that will help you out. For expert advice, email finaid@gwu.edu.

Questions, opinions, comments or protests? Let me know at ash1290@gwmail.gwu.edu.

No comments:

Post a Comment