Monday, February 21, 2011

E Street Cinema

I can't remember exactly, but I may have already written a post on E Street Cinema.  Or maybe I just thought about it and never got around to it--either way, it's one of my favorite places to go and definitely deserves a few mentions!

It's located really nearby on 11th and E Streets NW, so it's not a terribly long walk from campus, but it's also right by Metro Center.  Very accessible.  Anyway, E Street is special because it's not just your standard movie theater, it specializes in foreign and indy films!  They participate in the DC Filmfest (coming up--yay!), and I can't say I've ever seen a movie there that I didn't love.

On Saturday, my friend and I went to see Die Fremde (English title: When We Leave), and ADORED IT.  Gosh it was so powerful and moving--the kinda movie that really sticks with you. Here's the trailer:



Funny story--we had actually planned on seeing two different movies separately (we like seeing movies alone, but not going to the theater alone, necessarily!)  But it turned out that we got the movie times wrong and hers had actually already started, and she had already seen the one I was seeing, so we just chose this!  Going into the theater, we were warned that this one was really dark, so I was excited.  I like dark, gritty films.

Then 5 minutes into the film, I realized I KNEW THIS MOVIE!!!  A friend had seen it in his German class, and told me the entire plot INCLUDING the awful, depressing, bitter ending.  So I had to go through the whole film knowing what would happen.  But it was still great.  Such a worthwhile film to see, and it was completely on a whim!  Yet another reason why I love E Street Cinema--even a miss is a hit!  Though I still need to get back there sometime soon to see the movie I had actually intended to see!

That's it.  So email me!  Gimme movie suggestions!  ShireenS@gwmail.gwu.edu
~~~Shireen

1 comment:

  1. If you haven't seen "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" and the following movies, I recommend them! They're on Netflix :)

    ReplyDelete