Thursday, April 15, 2010

Study Break

Why, hello there.

It is 3:32 a.m. and I am currently finishing a paper. I have a six-pager due at 9:35 and I'm on page two. It's going to be a long night but let me just say I'm not actually hating life right now.

Maybe it's the caffeine talking but maybe it's not? Hear me out. I am 21 years old and about to graduate from college. This may be the last time I ever stay up all night doing homework (I plan on grad school at some point but I'm hoping I'll have better study habits by then, but who knows). It's cliched and pretty terrible for your health, but it's kind of fun in retrospect.  It makes for some good stories later and it should be on everyone's List of Things to Do in College. With that being said, here are a few of my tips for making all nighters as bearable as possible.

1. Bring sustenance. You won't last past 3 a.m. if you do not have coffee, tea, or other caffeine filled product, water, and food. In terms of food, I suggest you eat dinner. Coffee and an empty stomach do not mix--my roommate learned that the hard way. Snacks are also a neccesity.

2. Space is Important. Whether or not you find yourself at Gelman Library or your room can make a huge difference in the success of your all nighter. When debating where to go, ask yourself if you think you have the will power to resist your bed. Think about how tired you're going to be and how easy it will be to want to "rest your eyes." Be strong! Or if you can't, remove yourself from the situation. Head to the library or if it's during finals, perhaps the Marvin Center or Duques. The lack of comfortable chairs in alternative study spaces also helps in resisting sleep. If you do opt for an alternative location, make sure you have access to outlets should you need one and that there is enough table top space for your work (don't end up like the girl in the photo below).

 3. Ensure naptime for the following day. While this may seem fairly obvious to some, the lack of sleep can often result in poor decision making, like trying to go to a full day of class running purely on energy drinks and caffeine. Whether you make time for a full afternoon of sleep or just an hour, a bit of shut eye can add some much needed clarity to the hangover-like day you will experience after serious sleep deprivation. (Imagine the worst headache you've ever had and times it by 6. Then add nausea and stir.) The only solution to both a hangover and the lack of sleep, is sleep. If it means calling out of work to take nap, do it. If it means emailing a professor that you're missing class, do it. If it means standing up your boyfriend for a lunch date, do it (he'll understand and if he doesn't you're too good for him).

4. Remind yourself you'll be okay. You may find yourself questioning your life philosophy ("WHY DID I DO THIS TO MYSELF??"), and in times like those, remember you're going to be okay. You'll be able to sleep soon enough. You might hear the birds chirp and see the sun rise before anyone else, but then again, they'll be no line for the printer, and you might even beat the early morning crowd to Starbucks.  The cartoon below illustrates the cycle pretty well, and after you turn your assignment in, you can breathe a satisfying sigh of relief. And then sleep.

5. Don't leave any monumental tasks till the night before. The incorrect usage of an all nighter is exhibited by hundreds of seniors every year across the country: the thesis cram. A thesis is NOT something that can be tackled in one night (nor is anything over 10 pages in my opinion, but there are different schools of thought on this issue). If you have the option of finishing a paper early, do it. If you can start studying for that PolySci exam a week before, do it. If you can't, that's when you pull an all nighter. If you're grade depends on one assignment, don't pull an all nighter. You must not take the decision to cram lightly. If you do not work well under pressure, do not pull an all nigher. If you can't deprive yourself of sleep, don't try to pull an all nighter.

I hope these rules help, and I apologize that my writing may seem a bit off at the moment.  I am amidst an all nighter, but I wanted to share this authentic experience with you. The birds have begun to chirp, and that is my cue to get back to work. I haven't seen sun rise yet this semester, but I have a feeling I might stick it out for this last all nighter. I'll let you know when I wake up from my nap tomorrow.

-Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment