Thursday, April 15, 2010

Email Response

Hey everybody!

I know I've been rather vocal lately, possibly annoyingly so.  If that's the case--sorry!  But last night I got an email asking if I could explain more of my background.  "Great!" I thought, "More time to talk about myself!"  But my email didn't go through, I got one of those "failed permanently" messages in response.  So, I decided to post my response here, and hopefully the person who asked is reading!

Here goes:

What would you like to know?  I’m assuming you mean my ethnic background.  Well, my father is Persian, born in Iran and moved here about 30 years ago.  My mother is Italian-American.  Her mother is from Puglia, and her father is Calabrese, but born in Brooklyn.  So my Italian side is all southern.  My father, on the other hand, is a northern Iranian, from the city of Rasht (on the Caspian).
I went to Iran for the first time last April.  Now that I think about it, I can’t believe it’s been a year!  It was the first time in my life that I met my father’s family.  He had some distant cousins (whom we didn’t like very much) visit once and some other somewhat-closer cousins (whom we adore, thankfully) moved to Canada but I finally got to meet his nuclear family last year.  It was incredible.  I’m big on foreign cultures and international relations and languages and all that good stuff, so this was the trip of a lifetime. 
Problem is, we only got to spend 9 days there, so I didn’t really get to take it in as much as I would have liked—as soon as I got over the insane jetlag, we had to leave!  But I plan on going back next summer, so I can really see the sights.  We mostly spent time with the family in Rasht on this trip.  In fact I only spent a day in Tehran.  But when we go back, we want to visit the historic sites in Tehran, Esfahan, and Shiraz (where Persepolis is), and maybe a few others if there’s time.
Hope I answered your question to your liking!  Thanks for reading!  I had no idea that people actually read my blogs.
And there you have it!  Keep emailing, I love it!
~~~ Shireen

No comments:

Post a Comment